Description The programme addresses the pressing need for empowering teachers to infuse mathematical modelling into secondary mathematics to promote STEM education. It aims to equip secondary school teachers with knowledge and skills for the learning and teaching of mathematical modelling and to enhance their professional capacity in promoting STEM education through mathematics.
On successful completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
(1) demonstrate an understanding of theoretical underpinnings for the learning and teaching of mathematical modelling;
(2) advance the knowledge about mathematical modelling in real-life and STEM-related contexts;
(3) design modelling tasks in STEM to infuse STEM learning into secondary school formal and school-based curriculum;
(4) utilise appropriate information technology (IT) tools in the learning and teaching of mathematical modelling; and
(5) enhance problem-solving and collaboration skills and teachers’ professional capacity and confidence in promoting STEM education through mathematical modelling.